Contact Us

GEMCO South32

GEMCO is an open-cut mining operation, producing high-grade manganese ore that is shipped to customers around the world. It is currently the largest and lowest-cost manganese ore producer in the world, which we hold a 60 per cent share

Major Mines & Projects GEMCO Mine

The existing GEMCO mine is an open cut manganese mining operation. It comprises a number of mineral leases (MLs), covering a total area of approximately 8,500 ha. The GEMCO mining operations involve the following sequence of activities: Clearing of vegetation using bulldozers;

Mine Details MiningLink.au

The GEMCO manganese mine is located in the Northern Territory, on Groote Eylandt, a part of the Arnhem Land Aboriginal Reserve, near the community of Angurugu. It is 60 percent owned by South32 and the remaining 40 percent by Anglo Pacific. Groote Eylandt is situated 630 kilometres east of Darwin and approximately 50 kilometres off the eastern

GEMCO Manganese Mine Groote Eyelandt QClad

Completion. November 2015. QClad were contracted by Walz to complete cladding works for the Stockpile Cover and several ancillary buildings on the GEMCO

GEMCO Eastern NTEPA

2016-7-1  the existing GEMCO mine on Groote Eylandt in the Gulf of Carpentaria, approximately 650 km south -east of Darwin (Figure 1 ). The existing GEMCO mine is a manganese mine that has been operating for approximately 50 years. O perations at the existing GEMCO mine involve mining manganese ore by open cut mining

Section 1 Introduction NTEPA

2016-7-1  The Groote Eylandt Mining Company Pty Ltd (GEMCO) operates a manganese mine (the existing mine) on Groote Eylandt in the Northern Territory (NT) (Figure 1-1). The mine has been operating for more than 50 years. Operations at the existing mine involve mining manganese ore by open cut mining methods, and then washing the ore in a concentrator.

'Concerning' levels of heavy metals found in people living

2021-12-6  The Gemco manganese mine has been operating beside the Angurugu population of 850 people for 50 years, and about another 12 years of mining are expected.

Involving Traditional Owners in Seed Collecting and

Groote Eylandt Mining Company (GEMCO), operated by BHP Billiton, mines manganese from a number of leases on the western coastal plain of the island Groote Eylandt. The island has an area of 2,260 square kilometres and is wholly owned by the Anindilyakwa Aboriginal people.

Mine Details MiningLink.au

The GEMCO manganese mine is located in the Northern Territory, on Groote Eylandt, a part of the Arnhem Land Aboriginal Reserve, near the community of Angurugu. It is 60 percent owned by South32 and the remaining 40 percent by Anglo Pacific. Groote Eylandt is situated 630 kilometres east of Darwin and approximately 50 kilometres off the eastern

GEMCO Eastern NTEPA

2016-7-1  the existing GEMCO mine on Groote Eylandt in the Gulf of Carpentaria, approximately 650 km south -east of Darwin (Figure 1 ). The existing GEMCO mine is a manganese mine that has been operating for approximately 50 years. O perations at the existing GEMCO mine involve mining manganese ore by open cut mining

Involving Traditional Owners in Seed Collecting and

Groote Eylandt Mining Company (GEMCO), operated by BHP Billiton, mines manganese from a number of leases on the western coastal plain of the island Groote Eylandt. The island has an area of 2,260 square kilometres and is wholly owned by the Anindilyakwa Aboriginal people.

Mining, minerals and petroleum rights Austrade

2018-1-29  Case study GEMCO Manganese Mine. GEMCO is a manganese mining operation located on Groote Eylandt, the largest island in the Gulf of Carpentaria in Australia's north and home to the Warnindilyakwan people, the traditional owners of the land and surrounding islands of the Groote Eylandt archipelago.

Resourcing the Territory commodity factsheet

2021-10-25  Manganese Mn Operating mines Region Mine Annual production Resource Company Carpentaria Basin Gemco 5.88 Mt Mn concentrate (2020–21) 147 Mt @ 43.7% Mn South 32 Ltd Tomkinson Province Bootu Creek 0.74 Mt Mn concentrate (2020) 9.43 Mt @ 15.53% Mn OM Holdings Ltd • World-class, low-cost GEMCO manganese mine at Groote Eylandt

Mine Details MiningLink.au

The TEMCO plant primarily uses Tasmanian hydroelectric power to produce 269 kilotonne of manganese alloy a year. TEMCO Began Smelting GEMCO ore in 1966. The first furnace at the TEMCO plant was built in 1962 and the plant began processing manganese ore

Remote NT community, mine dust allegations 7NEWS

2021-12-16  Its 1000 or so residents are exposed to dust from the South32's Gemco mine with "concerningly high levels" of manganese detected in some residents, according to the Environment Centre NT. Tests in 2018 on the hair and nails of children and adults living in Angurugu found high levels of the mineral, director Kirsty Howey said on Thursday.

OM Holdings A Manganese Ore & Ferroalloy Company

OM (Manganese) Ltd (“OMM”) owns and operates the Bootu Creek manganese ore mine in Northern Territory, Australia. The Bootu Creek Mine is located 110km north of Tennant Creek in the Northern Territory of Australia, and exported its first shipment of ore in 2006. Exploration at Bootu Creek commenced in 2001, with drilling completed in 2004

Iron ore and manganese Anglo American plc

2019-5-23  Kolmela mine 3 65.2% Kumba Iron Ore Thabazimbi mine 4 40% Samancor Manganese Hotazel 5 40% Samancor Manganese Metalloys South America The Minas-Rio iron ore project is located in the states of Minas Gerais and Rio de Janeiro in Brazil and will include open pit mines and a beneficiation plant in Minas Gerais producing high grade

GEMCO South32

2018-2-6  GEMCO GUIDELINES FOR COMMUNITY SUPPORT Communities of interest South32 is committed to creating shared value and making a positive contribution to the quality of life of the communities, regions and countries where we operate. South32 GEMCO is committed to sustainable development and aims to be a valued member of Groote Eylandt communities.

GEMCO Manganese Mine Groote Eyelandt QClad

Completion. November 2015. QClad were contracted by Walz to complete cladding works for the Stockpile Cover and several ancillary buildings on the GEMCO Manganese mine in Groote Eyeland, Northern Territory. Works included

GEMCO Eastern NTEPA

2016-7-1  the existing GEMCO mine on Groote Eylandt in the Gulf of Carpentaria, approximately 650 km south -east of Darwin (Figure 1 ). The existing GEMCO mine is a manganese mine that has been operating for approximately 50 years. O perations at the existing GEMCO mine involve mining manganese ore by open cut mining

Mining, minerals and petroleum rights Austrade

2018-1-29  Case study GEMCO Manganese Mine. GEMCO is a manganese mining operation located on Groote Eylandt, the largest island in the Gulf of Carpentaria in Australia's north and home to the Warnindilyakwan people, the traditional owners of the land and surrounding islands of the Groote Eylandt archipelago.

Resourcing the Territory commodity factsheet

2021-10-25  Manganese Mn Operating mines Region Mine Annual production Resource Company Carpentaria Basin Gemco 5.88 Mt Mn concentrate (2020–21) 147 Mt @ 43.7% Mn South 32 Ltd Tomkinson Province Bootu Creek 0.74 Mt Mn concentrate (2020) 9.43 Mt @ 15.53% Mn OM Holdings Ltd • World-class, low-cost GEMCO manganese mine at Groote Eylandt

Mine Details MiningLink.au

The TEMCO plant primarily uses Tasmanian hydroelectric power to produce 269 kilotonne of manganese alloy a year. TEMCO Began Smelting GEMCO ore in 1966. The first furnace at the TEMCO plant was built in 1962 and the plant began processing manganese ore

TAPPED IN: Everyone loves Gemco, but who will step up

A stake in Samancor Manganese, which includes manganese ore and alloy operations in Australia and South Africa, would give a buyer exposure to the Australian mining operation Groote Eylandt Mining Co (Gemco), the high-quality, low cost jewel in the company’s crown.

Groote Resources one to watch in manganese exploration

2010-2-9  The tenements are directly adjacent to BHP Billiton and Anglo American Corp's, Groote Eylandt Mining Company (known as GEMCO) world class manganese mine. What sets GEMCO apart? It is the 9th

OM Holdings A Manganese Ore & Ferroalloy Company

OM (Manganese) Ltd (“OMM”) owns and operates the Bootu Creek manganese ore mine in Northern Territory, Australia. The Bootu Creek Mine is located 110km north of Tennant Creek in the Northern Territory of Australia, and exported its first shipment of ore in 2006. Exploration at Bootu Creek commenced in 2001, with drilling completed in 2004

Iron ore and manganese Anglo American plc

2019-5-23  Kolmela mine 3 65.2% Kumba Iron Ore Thabazimbi mine 4 40% Samancor Manganese Hotazel 5 40% Samancor Manganese Metalloys South America The Minas-Rio iron ore project is located in the states of Minas Gerais and Rio de Janeiro in Brazil and will include open pit mines and a beneficiation plant in Minas Gerais producing high grade

GEMCO South32

2018-2-6  GEMCO GUIDELINES FOR COMMUNITY SUPPORT Communities of interest South32 is committed to creating shared value and making a positive contribution to the quality of life of the communities, regions and countries where we operate. South32 GEMCO is committed to sustainable development and aims to be a valued member of Groote Eylandt communities.